Sunday, March 9, 2014

Coaching isn't a season, it's eternity!


WR secrets week seven was great turnout, we had twenty student-athletes playing fast and at a high tempo. I get so excited when Sunday arrives begins I have the opportunity to coach. What I enjoy most is when you have a kid that lacks WR skills, but when you trained and teach him the fundamentals and techniques to become a good wide Receiver. That's what I enjoy most is taking a receiver that lacks WR skills and give him the tools to be successful. There is nothing better than helping an athlete who wants to get better, it makes our job easy as coaches.

As a coach I worked with all types of athletes, some had all the physical tools but lack the work ethic, some had physical tools, but resisted the coaching, and I worked with guys who wasn't blessed physically, but they had a great work ethic. I pretty much worked with any type of kid. Humbling speaking what makes me better than most coaches, when I deal with difficult players I will go above and beyond to help that individual. Where in several cases coaches tend to give up. I never quit on a kid, NEVER! One thing I will do if I can't reach a kid I will ask my mentors to try to get answers for this kid, speak with his parents, speak to him. I will never stop coaching him and continue to find a solution. That is what separates me from other coaches.

I thank god for blessing me with a big heart, every kid I coach I still have relationship with them. Some are in college, some are trying to find there purpose in life, but it don't matter my door will always be opened. Coaches, you have to understand once you join this business of coaching you have to be willing to be in it for these kids forever. You have to be available for these kids, because you don't know what that kid goes threw on a daily basis. We always have to be available, if not we will be like the others in his life. I had parent write me a letter thanking me, that I done more for her son than his head coach ever done, that touched my heart because this kid I only coached him in 7-on-7 travel team. Things like that I keep in my head because those are the things that drive me, and I can't let a kid down. Coaches this is a long haul, and not detour. We must remain in our players livelihood forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment